Experimental Physics and Industrial Control System
Ten Really Neat Things About EPICS
- It is free. No license fees, no new payment for every upgrade. You can
download EPICS free of charge from the web.
- It is Open Source (i.e. the source code is accessible). Adaptions and
changes due to a special environment are therefore possible.
- There are lots of users. It is tested and most bugs are already found.
- All a client needs to know to access data is a PV name. No single point of
failure due to a nameserver and no messing around with fixed addresses.
- You can pick the best tools out there ...
- ... or build your own.
- The boring stuff is already done. For example the communication with Channel
Access is stable and well tested.
- There is a lot of expertise available close by.
- A good contribution becomes internationally known.
- It doesn't matter whether you need 10 PVs or 10 Million PVs. You can scale
EPICS almost freely.