EPICS Home

Experimental Physics and Industrial Control System


 
1994  1995  1996  1997  1998  1999  2000  2001  2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  <20122013  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018  2019  2020  Index 1994  1995  1996  1997  1998  1999  2000  2001  2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  <20122013  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018  2019  2020 
<== Date ==> <== Thread ==>

Subject: Re: Problem with the basic example
From: Benjamin Franksen <benjamin.franksen@helmholtz-berlin.de>
To: <tech-talk@aps.anl.gov>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:46:09 +0200
Hi Bruno

To slightly elaborate Michael's answer: macro substitution can be performed 
early (during make) or late (when loading files) or both (i.e. parts of the 
substitution are done early, another part late). The Makefile specifies 
which are done early, the startup file which are done late.

Cheers
Ben

On Tuesday, July 31, 2012, Michael Johnson wrote:
> Bruno,
> 
> Good catch on the *.substitutions files.
> 
> The Make process is also responsible for copying over certain source
> files to IOC resource folders. "db/" holds your database and
> substitution files. A quick 'find' should show you more than one copy,
> something like:
> 
> ./db/user.substitutions
> ./db/userHost.substitutions
> ./testOneApp/Db/user.substitutions
> ./testOneApp/Db/userHost.substitutions
> 
> So maybe the file you were editing (App/Db/) was not the one you were
> loading (db/).
> 
> - Mike
> - JLab
> 
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Bruno Seiva Martins
> 
> brunoseivam@gmail.com>wrote:
> > Changing the st.cmd file got only two records to change:
> > 
> > epics> dbl
> > bruno.martinsHost:aiExample
> > bruno.martinsHost:aiExample1
> > bruno.martinsHost:aiExample2
> > bruno.martinsHost:aiExample3
> > bruno:aSubExample
> > bruno.martinsHost:calc1
> > bruno.martinsHost:calc2
> > bruno.martinsHost:calc3
> > bruno.martinsHost:calcExample
> > bruno.martinsHost:calcExample1
> > bruno.martinsHost:calcExample2
> > bruno.martinsHost:calcExample3
> > bruno.martinsHost:compressExample
> > bruno:subExample
> > bruno.martinsHost:xxxExample
> > 
> > I suspected the files user.substitutions and userHost.substitutions
> > were the responsibles, changed "bruno.martinsHost" and "bruno.martins"
> > to "bruno", ran st.cmd again, same results.
> > 
> > Only when I recompiled all changes took effect:
> > 
> > epics> dbl
> > bruno:ai1
> > bruno:ai2
> > bruno:ai3
> > bruno:aiExample
> > bruno:aiExample1
> > bruno:aiExample2
> > bruno:aiExample3
> > bruno:aSubExample
> > bruno:calc1
> > bruno:calc2
> > bruno:calc3
> > bruno:calcExample
> > bruno:calcExample1
> > bruno:calcExample2
> > bruno:calcExample3
> > bruno:compressExample
> > bruno:subExample
> > bruno:xxxExample
> > 
> > Is this recompilation really necessary? The way I see, the st.cmd file
> > is a script that loads these *.substitutions files and parse them
> > dinamically, but seems not quite like that.
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Benjamin Franksen <
> > 
> > benjamin.franksen@helmholtz-berlin.de> wrote:
> >> On Tuesday, July 31, 2012, Bruno Seiva Martins wrote:
> >> > I don't know if this is the place for a begginer question, but here
> >> > I
> >> 
> >> go.
> >> 
> >> It is, and you are welcome.
> >> 
> >> > I'm starting out using EPICS, following basic tutorials. I was able
> >> > to compile epics base without a problem. Then I created the example
> >> > IOC using makeBaseApp.pl.
> >> > 
> >> > Everything went fine, and I got the IOC to run:
> >> > 
> >> > epics> dbl
> >> > bruno.martinsHost:aiExample
> >> > bruno.martinsHost:aiExample1
> >> > bruno.martinsHost:aiExample2
> >> > bruno.martinsHost:aiExample3
> >> > bruno.martinsHost:aSubExample
> >> > bruno.martinsHost:calc1
> >> > bruno.martinsHost:calc2
> >> > bruno.martinsHost:calc3
> >> > bruno.martinsHost:calcExample
> >> > bruno.martinsHost:calcExample1
> >> > bruno.martinsHost:calcExample2
> >> > bruno.martinsHost:calcExample3
> >> > bruno.martinsHost:compressExample
> >> > bruno.martinsHost:subExample
> >> > bruno.martinsHost:xxxExample
> >> > 
> >> > But then, when I tried to get more details about one of these PV's,
> >> > I got:
> >> > 
> >> > epics> dbpr bruno.martinsHost:aiExample3
> >> > Record 'bruno.martinsHost:aiExample3' not found
> >> > 
> >> > I got this message for every PV I tried, and I don't really know
> >> > what went wrong, since the PV's are being listed...
> >> 
> >> As otehr have noted, dot ('.') is not allowed in record names.
> >> 
> >> However, your db file should have been rejected when loading, and not
> >> when trying to find the record. So this is actually a bug in EPICS
> >> base.
> >> 
> >> Cheers
> >> Ben
> > 
> > --
> > Bruno Seiva Martins
> > Departamento de Computação
> > Universidade Federal de São Carlos - UFSCar

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: This is a digitally signed message part.


References:
Problem with the basic example Bruno Seiva Martins
Re: Problem with the basic example Bruno Seiva Martins
Re: Problem with the basic example Michael Johnson

Navigate by Date:
Prev: Re: Problem with the basic example Michael Johnson
Next: Re: Problem with the basic example Andrew Johnson
Index: 1994  1995  1996  1997  1998  1999  2000  2001  2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  <20122013  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018  2019  2020 
Navigate by Thread:
Prev: Re: Problem with the basic example Michael Johnson
Next: CSS BOY Dynamic Strip Charts with Macros Alex Dunn
Index: 1994  1995  1996  1997  1998  1999  2000  2001  2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  <20122013  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018  2019  2020