Experimental Physics and
Industrial Control System

2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018  2019  2020  <20212022  2023  2024  Index 2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018  2019  2020  <20212022  2023  2024
<== Date ==> <== Thread ==>

Subject: Re: Epics-base together with a demo IOC and Phoebus as a Windows installation package
From: Mark Rivers via Core-talk <core-talk at aps.anl.gov>
To: Heinz Junkes <junkes at fhi-berlin.mpg.de>
Cc: Core-talk <core-talk at aps.anl.gov>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 12:57:31 +0000
Hi Heinz,

I have not taken the next step of packaging as MSI files.  But I have been providing .zip files for Windows IOCs.  They require just unzipping and modifying a startup script to change one path.  medm is already available as an MSI package, so people who are new to EPICS can get up an running quite quickly.

This package is our main IOC application for our beamlines.  It has all of synApps, including StreamDevice, motors, scalers, MCAs, etc. The zip file includes all needed database files, OPI screens, example startup scripts, and the IOC executable for windows-x64-static.  It does not include areaDetector IOCs.

https://cars.uchicago.edu/software/pub/epics_standalone_CARS.zip

areaDetector drivers are packaged individually.  This is the pre-built package for the Spinnaker cameras from FLIR.
https://cars.uchicago.edu/software/pub/ADSpinnaker/ADSpinnaker_Prebuilt_R2-1_windows-x64-static.zip

These are the installation instructions for the areaDetector pre-built binaries:
https://areadetector.github.io/master/install_guide.html#installing-pre-built-binary-versions-of-areadetector

These packages have been used for many years by people in university labs and at synchrotron beamlines that use Windows, because I find there are very few people who have taken the time to set up a Windows build environment on EPICS.  The way I do it is quite simple, because I build in the same tree on our Linux server for all architectures:  rhel6, rhel7, rhel8, ubuntu 18, old SUSE, vxWorks, Windows static, Windows dynamic, etc.  Then I only need to maintain a couple of working directory trees (development and production).  Windows just needs Perl, make, re2c, and Visual Studio (free) to have an EPICS build environment.  The pre-built packages have also been used for Linux by people like those you describe who don't have the background to build things from source.

All machines, including Windows get all files (startup scripts, databases, executables) from the Linux server at run-time.  The exception is that Windows executables are copied locally because they cannot be deleted if they are open anywhere, so upgrades are impossible if they are running from the server.

Mark

<https://cars.uchicago.edu/software/pub/ADSpinnaker/ADSpinnaker_Prebuilt_R2-1_windows-x64-static.zip>