The Spallation Neutron Source at Oak Ridge National Laboratory is currently seeking candidates for a Software Engineer for the Instrument Data Acquisition and Control System. The position will support and maintain existing software applications and will take an active role in contributing ideas, designs and solutions towards the development of the next generation of the instrument data acquisition and control system for the SNS. The position is a full-time, regular appointment.
Please feel free to contact me for additional information (firstname.lastname@example.org or 865-466-6473) or apply online at jobs.ornl.gov. Search for position
NB50314286, SNS Instrument Data Acquisition and Controls Software Engineer.
The text of the job posting is pasted below.
Group Leader, Instrument Data Acquisition and Controls
SNS, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Job Posting Title:
SNS Instrument Data Acquisition and Controls Software Engineer-NB50314286
Posted Date 06/19/2012
End Posting Date 07/20/2012
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 24 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences for 2,000 visiting scientists. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
The Research Accelerator Division invites applications for an Instrument Data Acquisition and Controls Software Engineer. This position will develop custom software in a collaborative environment for instrument data acquisition and control of neutron scattering beam lines at the SNS. The Software Engineer will also Support the operation of the data acquisition and control system
- Support the scientific mission of the SNS by designing, developing, supporting, maintaining and troubleshooting efficient reliable software for neutron instrument control, data acquisition and experiment automation.
- Support and maintain existing software applications including troubleshooting, bug fixes and new feature development.
- Contribute ideas, designs and solutions for the development of the next generation instrument data acquisition and control system.
- Provide documentation, user training, bug fixes and new feature development for software. Maintain code in a central repository utilizing a version control system. Develop and utilize software quality testing procedures.
- Provide operational support for the instrument data acquisition and control system. The position is typical office hours, but some off-hours and weekend support is required to support the 24/7 operational needs of the SNS.
- As appropriate, publish papers or reports, and represent SNS at conferences and/or workshops. Some domestic and/or foreign travel may be required to support collaborations or attend conferences or workshops.
- Ensure compliance with environmental, safety, health and quality program requirements.
- Maintain a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics.
Bachelors degree in engineering, computer science, physics or related field and six years of relevant experience, or a Masters degree in engineering, computer science, physics or related field and three years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated experience in developing reliable and efficient custom software in a scientific environment or developing software for high-availability large distributed control systems.
Demonstrated experience in one or more programming languages such as C, C++, Python, or Java, with preference given for Python. Experience with collaborative/team software development using version control and configuration control management systems. Understanding of reliable software design practices, software quality testing, distributed software systems and computer networks. Ability to work and communicate effectively with teams of scientists, engineers, and technicians.
Experience at a neutron user facility, synchrotron light source or other large-scale experimental physics project or user facility is highly preferred. Experience conducting scientific experiments using diffraction, tomography, imaging or related techniques. Experience with EPICS or other toolkits for developing large scale distributed control systems. Experience developing experimental data acquisition software. Experience working in both Linux and Windows environments. Experience with user interface design for experimental science control systems. Familiarity with LabView, device control hardware, and test and measurement equipment. An advanced degree in science or engineering.
Work Directions and Interfaces
Position reports to Instrument Data Acquisition and Controls Group Leader. Works closely with members of Instrument Data Acquisition/Controls Group, Instrument Data Analysis/Visualization Group and Accelerator Controls Group, and interfaces with external scientific users and instrument scientists at SNS and other technical groups. Collaborates with software developers at other facilities and from the user community. Works well as a team member leading when necessary, but also able to perform work independently.
Measures of Effectiveness
- Responsiveness to support needs of instrument and facility operations
- Functionality, reliability, maintainability and usability of developed software
- Responsiveness to special assignments in support of changing scientific needs, project management directives, project changes, and project reviews
- Produces software-related documentation
- Works effectively in a diverse team environment
- Takes initiative and performs work independently
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm, .html) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov. ORNL is an E-Verify Employer.
If you would like to know more about E-Verify, click on the following link: http://jobs.ornl.gov/eVerify.shtml
UT--Battelle is recognized by our employees and the community as an inclusive environment where diversity is valued and individuals and teams are inspired to contribute fully to the organization's success. ORNL is an equal opportunity employer.
- Navigate by Date:
Re: Strange performance results -- any ideas? Andrew Johnson
Re: Strange performance results -- any ideas? John William Sinclair
- Navigate by Thread:
Re: Strange performance results -- any ideas? Dirk Zimoch
dbd expand errors for measurementComputing module S. Stein