Argonne National Laboratory

Experimental Physics and
Industrial Control System

2002  2003  2004  2005  <20062007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018  2019  2020  Index 2002  2003  2004  2005  <20062007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018  2019  2020 
<== Date ==> <== Thread ==>

Subject: Re: Next R3.14.9 version: -pre2 or -RC1?
From: Andrew Johnson <anj@aps.anl.gov>
To: Ralph Lange <Ralph.Lange@bessy.de>
Cc: EPICS core-talk <core-talk@aps.anl.gov>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:12:11 -0600
Ralph Lange wrote:
I'm perfectly fine with a -pre2 release, as I've not been available last week and didn't manage to find time this week yet. I'm on late shift Friday, Saturday and Sunday, though, so I hope to be able to run the complete set of tests during the weekend. I'll do a CVS update on Friday to get the stuff here before the APS power switching.

Great - thanks.

Maybe you can consider giving the -pre2 a 1-week proposed lifetime and get -RC1 ready next Friday?!

That was my intention - once we think we've committed fixes to everything we discover in the week following the -pre<n> release, the next release will be -RC1, followed hopefully a week later (assuming there are no changes needed) by the final R3.14.9 release. The longer period for -pre1 was only because the US Thanksgiving holiday fell in the middle of that week.

I admit the -pre vs -RC decision is a bit of a judgement call, but I think this plan is a reasonable compromise between releasing too early and having the release hanging on for ages. Note that under this model, it's entirely possible for an -RC release to be followed by another -pre release if something nasty turns up that can't be fixed in time. I'm currently updating ReleaseChecklist.html to describe the plan.

- Andrew
--
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest
bears and the dumbest tourists -- Yosemite National Park Ranger

Replies:
Possible delay to R3.14.9-pre2 Andrew Johnson
References:
Next R3.14.9 version: -pre2 or -RC1? Andrew Johnson
Re: Next R3.14.9 version: -pre2 or -RC1? Ralph Lange

Navigate by Date:
Prev: Re: Next R3.14.9 version: -pre2 or -RC1? Andrew Johnson
Next: new osiWireFormat.h and osdWireFormat.h Jeff Hill
Index: 2002  2003  2004  2005  <20062007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018  2019  2020 
Navigate by Thread:
Prev: Re: Next R3.14.9 version: -pre2 or -RC1? Ralph Lange
Next: Possible delay to R3.14.9-pre2 Andrew Johnson
Index: 2002  2003  2004  2005  <20062007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018  2019  2020 
ANJ, 02 Feb 2012 Valid HTML 4.01! · Home · News · About · Base · Modules · Extensions · Distributions · Download ·
· Search · EPICS V4 · IRMIS · Talk · Bugs · Documents · Links · Licensing ·