Experimental Physics and
Industrial Control System

2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018  2019  2020  <20212022  2023  2024  Index 2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018  2019  2020  <20212022  2023  2024
<== Date ==> <== Thread ==>

Subject: Re: Epics-base together with a demo IOC and Phoebus as a Windows installation package
From: "Johnson, Andrew N. via Core-talk" <core-talk at aps.anl.gov>
To: Heinz Junkes <junkes at fhi-berlin.mpg.de>
Cc: EPICS core-talk <core-talk at aps.anl.gov>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 16:36:29 +0000
Hello Heinz,

I just added this topic to the Agenda for Wednesday.

You are looking for what I call an EPICS Distribution, which encapsulates any way of packaging EPICS with a collection of support modules, development tools and/or client applications to simplify the task of creating a control system using those preselected components. There have been many different Distributions created over the years, developed by or for different organizations – Gemini created their first in the late 1990s; the ITER CODAC Core system is one that has existed since 2010; Jiro Fujita has provided a VM for many years which he used for teaching; NSLS-2 provided theirs as a Debian package repository; the synApps collection counts as one, etc.

I’ve never looked at how to package software with it or if it has decent-enough dependency tracking, but Microsoft’s Chocolatey might be suitable for a Windows-based EPICS Distribution. It’s basically a package-management system that they provide and manage for third-party software which can be used to install and upgrade many different packages (Perl, Python, OpenSSH, etc.).

Note that the EPICS Core group have never created or formally supported any specific Distributions ourselves, but we have incorporated modifications into the EPICS build system to help those who are working on them.

- Andrew