Experimental Physics and
Industrial Control System

1994  1995  1996  1997  1998  1999  2000  2001  2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2016  2017  <20182019  2020  2021  2022  2023  2024  Index 1994  1995  1996  1997  1998  1999  2000  2001  2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  2009  2010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2016  2017  <20182019  2020  2021  2022  2023  2024
<== Date ==> <== Thread ==>

Subject: RE: Idea for new Display Manager
From: "Mark Engbretson" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>, "'Pete Jemian'" <[email protected]>
Cc: [email protected]
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 12:32:02 -0600
Since the very beginning of EPICS, people have been rolling their own GUI's on the various platforms that they support to be able to analyze and visualize their data in ways that  dumb displays of variables just can not handle.  <Nodding to Mark Rivers and his epics clients for Visual Basic and IDL> People still do that with Igor, Labview, Mathlab, <fill in your high level graphics and analysis GUI of choice>.

But technology has advanced now to the point where you can just as easily control (or at least monitor) your experiment from a Tablet or even your smart phone if you so desire and where  high end Area Detector system really shouldn't be using Xeon based Workstation class hardware but high end gaming configurations. Where people now want integrated analysis, data archiving and processing (Bluesky and Manta) and does everyone really still need to write their own code to center a slit, tweak up a motor the same way that they have been doing for the last . . . .30+ years?

Cross Platform application have tended to focus on the lowest common denominator tools available, and the effort of a relatively small handful of people with a vested interest in having software that *works* which the community all get the advantage of their efforts. <Again nodding in the direction of Mark Rivers> It should be possible to propose protocols (such as epics) , frameworks (such as Area detector) , and computational packages (such as BlueSky) so that all of our tools play nicely together and that display managers could be as easy to swap in and out as easily as changing application skins.

Where effort could be shifted from pretty well everyone rebuilding and maintaining most of the same sources and codes to more centralized repositories of executables <once again pointing to Mark Rivers and Prebuilt Area Detector deployments) that are the official working versions instead of tech-talk being filled with questions and answers that mostly boil down to 1) Your not using the latest version of the sources and 2) The latest versions of the sources are actually the latest known to be working versions.

It is impossible to have 1 *thing* which covers all the various types of data acquisition, analysis, storage, visualization, etc. but it should be possible to promote technologies where certain things (i.e. motors, Area Detectors, perhaps GUI's) all attempt to look the same as much as possible, and that if you need some functionality, you should be able to plug it into an existing framework instead of reinventing the wheel once again.

Me