Experimental Physics and
Industrial Control System

1994  1995  1996  1997  1998  1999  2000  2001  2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  <20092010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018  2019  2020  2021  2022  2023  2024  Index 1994  1995  1996  1997  1998  1999  2000  2001  2002  2003  2004  2005  2006  2007  2008  <20092010  2011  2012  2013  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018  2019  2020  2021  2022  2023  2024
<== Date ==> <== Thread ==>

Subject: RE: Inter-IOC link problems
From: "Jeff Hill" <[email protected]>
To: "'Andrew Johnson'" <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:54:25 -0600
Hi Andrew,

> Could this be the beacon port network order problem that you fixed
> recently?
> That might explain why she's seeing no beacons from the gateway.

I considered this possibility also.

Mantis entry 331 definitely might explain an absence of beacons from the GW
however it isn't a good match with their primary symptom.

my memory is that Mark's symptoms were as follows
O The CA server (IOC or GW) must be running R3.14.10
O The CA server (IOC or GW) must run on little-endian (i.e. Intel) processor
O The CA client library's channel connect delays are normal when initially
creating the channel. They had to restart the application to get an
immediate reconnect.
O The CA client library's channel re-connection delays were abnormally on
the order of 0-15 minutes but not longer - depending on where the IOC reboot
is synchronized with the CA client's periodic search request. In this
situation they are _not_ restarting the client application.

in contrast, at Diamond they have these symptoms
O The CA client library's channel connect delays are normal when rebooting
the IOC and as a consequence also restarting the TCP circuit.
O The CA client library does not reconnect the channel when the link changes
to another type of link and back to a CA link. This would cause the CA
channel to be destroyed and then recreated in the CA client library, but the
TCP circuit might not be restarted unless said channel was the last channel
on the circuit. When you recreate the CA channel its search interval is
initially quite fast (on the order of 100's of mS), but with an exponential
back-off.
O They have a persistent disconnected DB CA link on the order of several
days.

So, based on the time period that the channel remains disconnected, the fact
that it doesn't reconnect when it is recreated, and assuming also that they
don't have a very large non-default value for EPICS_CA_MAX_SEARCH_PERIOD in
the IOC with the persistently disconnected link, then I wouldn't expect that
Mantis entry 331 would fix their issue.

Jeff